Thursday, August 27, 2015

COVER STORY: HON. SHAREE ANN TAN - A GOVERNOR LIKE NO OTHER



By Lorna Emata

We featured her place of governance late last year for exposure and tourism purposes. Now, we have the privilege of gracing her as our cover story in this month’s issue. She is Hon. Sharee Ann Tan, the devoted, compassionate and tough governor of Samar. Today, we’ll get to know her up close and personal, her present achievements and challenges, and her future personal and political plans and dreams.

Ms. Sharee was born on May 11, 1982 to the late Ricardo Tan and Milagros Tee, both business entrepreneurs back then. She is the second eldest among a brood of four, her three siblings namely, Angelie, Stephen James and Reynold Michael. She graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy from University of San Carlos in Cebu City. On July 21,

2009, she exchanged wedding vows with Richard delos Santos, a businessman-contractor from Bicol, at the age of 27. They have been blessed with three beautiful children: Frederick Ethan, Rianne Meisha and Zaree Miesha.

In an earlier encounter with the Governor, I learned that as a mom, she is strict. Although she is basically a homebody, she loves to travel with her family and staff whenever she  can. She likes bazaars, Manaoag, and Crispy Pata! Ten years from now, she still sees herself being with her family. I was impressed with Ms. Sharee’s spontaneity, humor and warmth during that interaction. It compliments her efficient and non-on-sense attitude when at work.

Politics has always been in her bloodline. Her mother, Hon. Milagros Tan, is currently the Second District Representative. She was also a former Governor of Samar, before Ms. Sharee’s term. But that’s another story. Her brother, Stephen James, is presently her Vice-Governor. Her two other siblings also became mayoralty candidates in the past.

As for Ms. Sharee, she said she realized her political calling by the people. She became the youngest Congresswoman when she won the seat in 2007. She was just 25 years old then. This triggered off her political career. She is now on her second term as Samar governor.

As its Governor, Ms. Sharee’s passion and dedication for Samar could never be undermined nor questioned. Time and again, she has proven how much love she has for this province. She wouldn’t be on her second term if this isn’t so. And it’s also clear that her people loved her back. This I have proven when I got a chance to speak with the simplest of folks like the tricycle driver we rode on when we explored by ourselves. He spoke of the Governor like he was talking about a dearly beloved. I know I don’t need to expound on that.

This governor  makes sure she’s handson when it comes to anything and everything about Samar. Especially during Yolanda’s aftermath, in the wake of her province’s calamity and despair, she embraced
and wept with her people. But she lost no time in resurrecting her beloved province after it was ravaged by the typhoon. After just over a year, she was able to revive and bring Samar to its former self. And up to this day she is still completely embroiled in ramping up on Samar to
even surpass what this province has achieved in terms of tourism. For her, this is the right time to move and make Samar’s beauty and glory known to all and sundry.

I would now like to share with you some questions I asked the Governor and her answers in her own words to show how down to earth and simple she is:

Please tell us something about yourself.

As a Taurian, I simply characterize myself the traits of being dedicated, hardworking, generous, and humane loyal individual. I never imagined myself to be in the playing field of politics. I was very young then, naïve, inexperienced but, call it accident, fate or destiny, I landed a seat in the lower House in 2007 at the age of 25, the Benjamina or the baby of the House as they call it, being the youngest member of the 14th congress. After one term I ran for the gubernatorial seat of Samar, and up to this very moment, still hold the
position strongly to help lift my poor fellow Samarnons out of poverty as a legacy when my tenure ends.

2. How did your family get into politics?
I think it all started when my father died during the campaign in his
bid for a position at the Sangguniang Panlalawigan. It was an arrested
political desire that needed to be persevered by my mother that
fortunately led her in the realization of my father’s prevented political
aspirations. Until one day, I just woke up embracing this kind of passion about public service and the rest is history.

3. Given the fact that you’re from a family of politicians, would you say that it was solely your decision to become one or was it just expected of you to take the same path as your predecessors?
Like what I mentioned earlier, destiny brought me into this political  world… and since I am in this political world already, why not give my
101 percent more of what is expected of me? My sincerity, my hard work, and my dedication as the Governor of Samar.

4. Please tell us how you started out in politics, the diff positions you have held.

Okay, my first taste in politics begun at the moment I became my
mother’s personal assistant. She was then the governor of the Province of Samar. It not only opened the door for me, but at
the same time opened more windows of opportunities to different elected positions both in the legislative and executive levels.

5. What would you consider as your greatest challenge in your political life?
Every public servant aims to be a team player to his colleagues. And the truth about political bickering is no stranger than fiction. To work as one… to look at the same direction despite differences in opinion is my greatest challenge, because I believe, unity, whether we come from different political colors and ideology must be adhered to.

6. As Samar Governor, what have been
your accomplishments so far?

My accomplishments? In all modesty, the thrust in my governance is how to alleviate my poor fellow Samarnons from ingrained poverty and improve their economic status in life. Thank God for blessing me the ability and the overdrive in slowly but surely invigorating our Samar into the list of developing Provinces in the entire Philippines.

7. After the Yolanda aftermath, what changes have you made for the betterment of Samar?
The aftermath of Yolanda has had me stand strong against all
odds. I became self-reliant. This is people to imbibe. I want them to take on that “pride of place” thought, so that when no outside help would come to us, we can always depend on each other alone and no other. The Bayanihan in infrastructure rebuilding, creation of industrial
programs and tourism projects, social and health services…these are the task that we Samarnons should take upon ourselves hand-in hand.

8. What are the rewards of being a politician?
Seeing my people happy and satisfied!

9. Do you have future projects line up for Samar? If so, what are they?
Tourism, because tourism means business…and business means job
for everyone!

10. How do you see yourself and Samar 10 years from now?
For me, I see myself in the next 10 years as a fulfilled woman
With the realization of my humble aspirations for better Samar.

11. Your personal message for our readers, including your event in August.
Come visit Samar! Beamazed…be awed…be inspired of the natural wonders of Samar. Savor every bit of the delectable local cuisine that is widely offered and experience the extraordinary warmth of hospitality of our people.

In line with this, everyone is invited to celebrate SAMAR DAY
2015 from August 3-11, of course, in Samar. Line-up of activities are as follows:

Fun Run, Agro-Industrial Fair, Kusina Samarnon (showcase of local cuisine), Samar Tourism Photography Contest, Inter-School Academic contests, Cultural Show, Concert, Medical-Dental Mission, Libreng Gupit,

Fisher Folk Congress, Mutya ng Samar Beauty Pageant (Aug 9), Parade of Samar Festivals (Aug 11), Dinner with the Governor, Governor’s Report, Drum and Bugle Corps Competition, Youth Night and Street Party. This will definitely be another grand experience for the books. Looking at the open and honest face of this dedicated governor, one would think she is having the time of her life and loving it as she goes through the daily rigors of being a politician. That’s because it is the truth. Amidst any disaster, hardship and chaos she has faced as Samar’s leader, she is indeed loving what she’s doing, standing her ground undauntedly to any and all  Challenges and trials. I saw for myself how deeplyrooted this governor’s love was, in every word and gesture she made when she talked about her province. To have this ironclad will and passion to do more for her people, makes Hon. Sharee Ann Tan stand a mile away from her political colleagues. She’s truly and definitely a governor like no other.

No comments:

Post a Comment